commday2012

Comm Day 2012: “A new look at new media” Breakout Session 3

11:30 – 12:15 p.m. | Breakout Session 3

“From Monolog to Dialog: How Communities Are Shaping How We Consume Information”Pat Poyfair – Taylor 120

“Being Mom in a Two-Income World: How to Earn a Living Online While Raising a Family”Melinda Turner – Taylor 160

“How to Be a Winner at Your First New Media Job”Walter Cooley – Taylor 180

“Crafting Viral Social Content (and Other Skills that Will Help Get You a Job in New Media)”Preston Lee – Taylor Chapel

Comments

comments

'Comm Day 2012: “A new look at new media” Breakout Session 3' have 23 comments

1. June 22, 2012 @ 2:46 pm Alicia Mihu

For this session I went to Melinda Turner’s presentation. I really liked that she listed tips of advice for mothers who want to work from home. One main thing that struck me was to find something that I’m passionate about that I could work on and do from home. She said to make a list of talents, skills, and interests to help find something that I’m passionate about and then act on it. The internet is a very valuable tool. Overall, she gave an excellent presentation.

2. June 22, 2012 @ 4:12 pm Zachary Lee

I went to Breakout Session #3 which was hosted by Jake Black and John Dye who directly work with Mormon.org. It was a fascinating presentation! They showed all of the different options Mormon.org holds and all of the great progress it is making worldwide. It made me want to look into getting a possible internship with them and learning more about social media for communication career fields.

3. June 22, 2012 @ 6:16 pm Andrea Olson

I went to Melinda Turner’s breakout session and liked the fact that she confirmed that it is possible to be both a mom and have a full time job. I additionally liked the formula she presented for creating an online website: content, traffic, pre-sell, and monetize. This was a new concept to me and I appreciated the time she took to thoroughly explain it to the audience. It was interesting too when she explained search engine optimization. I liked how she talked about the different ways to make your “at home” business successful.

4. June 23, 2012 @ 12:17 am Erica Marley

I went to the session where Pat Poyfair talked about how media and communication is changing. It was interesting to see how businesses are using everything from Facebook to QR scanners to do business in an increasingly fast paced world.

5. June 23, 2012 @ 5:39 pm Emily Sloan

I went to Preston Lee’s session, it was really interesting to learn about some of the different ways to get something viral. He talked about three types of content which help a lot when trying to get something viral, and thats relevance, timeliness, and emotion He also talked about audience borrowing, which is what Justin Bieber and Ludacris used, giving them the number one watched video on youtube. .

6. June 24, 2012 @ 2:44 pm Amy Westover

The OB video at the end of Preston Lee’s session was freaking hilarious. Made my day. That and several other videos.

7. June 24, 2012 @ 5:35 pm hjordana

I went to Melinda Turners break out session. I learned how much knowing how to create a website is beneficial to someone who might need to take on another job or have that extra income. She is definitely an inspiration to learn those skills.

8. June 25, 2012 @ 12:10 pm Brett Evans

I also attended Preston Lee’s session. I appreciated the emphasis he placed on emotion when trying to virally market something. It makes sense that viral marketing needs to emotionally connect with its consumer on some way for them to want to share it.

9. June 27, 2012 @ 12:49 pm Bobby Macey

Preston did a great job. He kept saying how he was nervous but ultimately provided all of us with great material and rocked his presentation. He is quite savvy when it comes to using social media to market products.

He’s a good blogger too!

10. June 28, 2012 @ 10:47 am Rebekah Hampton

I attended Preston Lee’s session. I enjoyed learning about how you make something go viral. I loved that he said it’s not just a funny video, and that the best way to make something go viral is to give people a cause to stand behind.

11. June 28, 2012 @ 3:30 pm Allison Whiting

My favorite part of Comm Day was Misty Benjamin’s breakout session. She said something that really stuck out to me: “you need to define the terms of success. You can’t achieve success if you don’t know what it looks like.”

12. June 28, 2012 @ 4:55 pm jspoon17

Jessica DeLand

From Preston Lee’s session, I learned some interesting things about making things go viral. Before, I thought it was just random chance that something becomes popular enough to go viral, but Lee explained that it has to touch people in some way, through their emotions or their beliefs or something along those lines. It was a very different take than what I expected, and I learned a lot about viral marketing through him.

13. June 28, 2012 @ 9:36 pm Kaley Jean Herald

Comm Day was awesome it was so helpful and I learned A LOT

14. June 29, 2012 @ 1:40 pm Max Gurel

I learned a lot from Preston Lee’s viral video presentation. I think it’s really awesome to learn how to engineer viral media and I want to learn more about it.

15. July 2, 2012 @ 10:31 pm Ashley Malan

I attended the session by Preston Lee. It was really neat to see a BYU-Idaho graduate who has a job that did not exist 10 years ago! The exciting part of communication and particularly social media is that it is new. There are so many exciting opportunities to learn. I loved learning about Prestons blog. He writes almost everyday and basically teaches whoever will listen about visual media. I want to learn more about how to make a successful blog after hearing his presentation.

16. July 3, 2012 @ 1:38 am Stephanie Bisoni

Preston Lee did a really great job. I learned a ton. It was really cool to learn about all of the exciting opportunities that are out there and I also really enjoyed learning about social media.

17. July 3, 2012 @ 8:59 am Scott Hulme

I attended Jake Black’s and John Dye’s Breakout Session #3. They featured different aspects of Mormon.org. Mormon.org shows so much more than I thought. Mormon.org offers great tools to share the gospel. It is neat to see how they have incorporated social media in missionary work. I feel that there is a lot more possibilities in working with the church than I thought.

18. July 3, 2012 @ 12:44 pm Kristin Planer

Preston Lee was very well prepared and showed us some really fun videos. He also provided great tips and new information that I will be able to use in my upcoming internship with social media.

19. July 3, 2012 @ 5:59 pm Jenny Bourne

I went to the breakout session with Preston Lee. Social media is an amazing field to get into. He discussed how effective viral videos can be and part of the industry is finding videos that are going to catch the audiences’ attention.

20. July 5, 2012 @ 11:08 am Marisa Maria Tafoya

I went to Preston Lee’s presentation on the viral videos. I found it very fascinating that we are now able to make a change through technology. Social Media is the place to be! I actually would like to learn more about it. I liked how he talked about accessing the emotion to the videos as well. It will change at least one person. Go COMM DAY!

21. July 5, 2012 @ 2:26 pm Byron Tanner Elton

Pat was a fun speaker. He gave a fresh perspective to communications that we don’t get to hear all too often, especially as students being confined to lecture based classrooms. His theme was one that my uncle created when he was working at OC Tanner. It was fun being the one person there who was familiar with their carrot culture appreciation consulting.

22. July 10, 2012 @ 4:25 pm Meghan Higgins

I really enjoyed Preston Lee’s presentation. The viral videos he shared and his explanations of them were insightful in understanding a different aspect of the world of social media. He showed me that viral videos are a powerful tactic and tool within the social media industry especially when they touch on the emotions. He was fun to listen to and I actually learned quite a bit about the way things go viral.

23. July 11, 2012 @ 4:06 pm Kelly Furrows

I went to Melinda’s Turner’s presentation because my dream is to be a stay at home mom, but it will be awhile before my husband will open his own Orthodontic office so I want to help out with money as much as I can while raising our kids. Melinda Turner showed me that this is completely possible!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.