Church leaders give marriage guidance
Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints give direction on how to prepare for a temple marriage:
“No sacrifice is too great to have the blessings of an eternal marriage. To qualify, one needs only to deny oneself of ungodliness and honor the ordinances of the temple,” said Elder Russell M. Nelson of the Quorum of the Twelve apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The “For the Strength of Youth” pamphlet from the Church gives suggestions to help keep oneself temple worthy:
• Avoiding anything that arouses sexual emotions
• Not participating in talk or activities that arouse sexual feelings
• Paying attention to the promptings of the Holy Ghost so that you can be clean and virtuous
• Treating others with respect, not as objects used to satisfy lustful desires
• Not attending, viewing, or participating in anything that is immoral or pornographic in any way.
Elder Jeffrey R. Holland of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in his talk, “Place No More for the Enemy of my Soul” in April 2010’s Semiannual General Conference, addressed the importance of having chaste thoughts to keep ourselves worthy.
“Replace lewd thoughts with hopeful images and joyful memories,” Elder Holland said. “Picture the faces of those who love you and would be shattered if you let them down.”