Ted Cruz announced Tuesday evening that he was pulling out of the Republican nomination bid. The move came after Donald Trump won Indiana’s primary.
“From the beginning, I’ve said that I would continue on as long as there was a viable path to victory,” Cruz said. “Tonight, I’m sorry to say it appears that path has been foreclosed.”
Cruz had been focusing his campaigning efforts in Indiana, pulling his campaign from Oregon and New Mexico in an attempt to clear the way for John Kasich, who in turn pulled out of Indiana for Cruz’s sake. They announced this last week in a joint attempt to stop Trump in the polls.
“Together, we left it all on the field in Indiana,” Cruz said. “We gave it everything we’ve got. But the voters chose another path.”
Supporters present at the announcement shouted their lament at the choice, but cheered Cruz’s vow to defend liberty.
“I am not suspending our fight to defend the Constitution, to defend the Judeo-Christian values that built America,” he said.
Cruz dropped out after collecting over 500 delegates. After Tuesday’s primaries, Trump holds over 1,000 delegates, just a few hundred shy of the 1,237 needed to gain the Republican nomination in July.