Student whose clothes caught on fire in dryer at Royal Crest shares her experience

 The Royal Crest Apartments laundry room housed a dryer fire on Monday, April 12 at 11:24 p.m.

Dara Johnson, a sophomore studying psychology, said the fire was started after an article of her clothing caught on the rotating mechanism causing the dryer to jam, overheat and then catch fire.

She said she went to check her laundry when they were told about the fire by another student. All students were evacuated to Bunkhouse Apartments next door.

Breaking: Royal Crest Laundry Room Catches Fire In the Night


“I just had this gut feeling it was my clothes,” Johnson said.

In total, Johnson said she lost twelve items of clothing, among which were four that were new and four of sentimental value.

Johnson said Royal Crest will not reimburse her for her losses.

“[Students] waive all claims against landlord for personal injury or loss of or damage to clothing, valuables, or other personal property, including money, unless such loss or damage due to the negligence of the landlord,” according to the contract Johnson signed with Craigland Properties.

Johnson said she has since bought new clothes to replace the damaged ones.

Royal Crest declined to comment.

'Student whose clothes caught on fire in dryer at Royal Crest shares her experience' has no comments

Be the first to comment this post!

Would you like to share your thoughts?

Your email address will not be published.

Copyright 2015 BYU-I Scroll