Super typhoon creates need for service from all

AP Photo

AP Photo

Super typhoon Haiyan hit the central Philippines at 4:30 a.m. local time Nov. 8. according to The Freeman, a Filipino newspaper.

The super typhoon, known as Yolanda in the Philippines and Haiyan internationally, is one of the biggest storms in recent history, according to various news sources.

According to the Council, 138 have been reported dead with 14 injured and four missing, and the death toll is expected to rise.

The Red Cross Philippines estimated as many 10,000 dead in the city according to the New York Times.

According to the Official Gazette of the Philippines, 944,597 families were affected by the typhoon.

According Philippines Coast Guard website 3,410 people were stranded at sea.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints reported that 14,000 individuals were being sheltered in 200 church buildings, according to Mormon Newsroom.

Lettie Rosdahl, a freshman studying family consumer science, said her sister Delia Rosdahl is currently serving in the Philippines Bacolod Mission.

She said that the missionaries in her sister’s mission found refuge in the stake centers and collected rain water in buckets.

Rosdahl also said that the mission president, Marlo Lopez, kept families informed of the status of the missionaries in general and provided reassurance via Facebook that the missionaries were all safe.

She said that her family was very worried at first after hearing about the typhoon in the Philippines.

“My whole family [was] terrified, but we didn’t know what to do, and so the thing that we did [was] we prayed as a family [Thursday] night, and that was really powerful,” Lettie Rosdahl said.

In the Tacloban mission, which includes the areas hardest hit by the Typhoon, all but 24 missionaries were accounted for, according to Mormon Newsroom.

According to Mormon Newsroom, Elder W. Craig Zwick, an executive director in the Church’s Missionary Department, said that, “Approximately two-thirds of the missionaries in the Tacloban mission have been contacted and are well. We know that all missionaries were provided a 72-hour kit, were moved to safe locations before the storm and are in areas that were less impacted than the city of Tacloban.”

Christian Abbott, a sophomore studying recreation management whose fiancee is currently living on the edge of where the storm hit in the Philippines, said that the power outages left him unable to contact his fiancee.

He said that he was still able to get a phone call through to her when the storm hit, but with a lack of power his fiancee couldn’t charge her phone.

Abbott said that during the storm his fiancé took shelter in the local LDS church building but she initially didn’t want to, because typhoons are such a regular occurrence.

“She didn’t realize [the typhoon]would be that big a deal because she’s used to it,” Abbott said.

Abbott said his fiancee was ultimately better off being at the church because she had others to talk to.

Angie Mendoza Gloria, a junior studying humanities and former president of the BYU-Idaho Filipino Association, said her brother was visiting the Philippines with some friends for a surfing trip when the storm hit.

Mendoza-Gloria said her brother was in the city of Tacloban when the typhoon hit, and they lost contact with him. She said he was in the red zone of the typhoon ­— the most heavily affected area.

Mendoza-Gloria said she found out on her way to a dinner date that her brother was alive and being taken to the neighboring city, Cebu, by plane.

Leave a Reply