Story by Amron Yitref
Ping pong, also known as table tennis, is a sport in which two or four players hit a ball back and forth across a table using a small paddle. Points are scored when a player fails to return the ball back to the other player. Here are 5 facts about ping pong, a world renowned sport.
1. Table tennis was started in England in 1880 among the upper-class as an after-dinner parlor game. But, get this. Instead of a net, books were lined across the center of the table and they were also used as paddles.
2. Table tennis became an olympic sport in 1988 in the Seoul Korea summer olympics.
3. Table tennis is one of the top 10 most famous sports in the world.
4. There are more than 1,500 varieties of table tennis rubber that is authorized for professional play. There are two types of rubber, half for attacks and half for defending.
5. There are two different techniques for table tennis. The first is called the shake hands a more popular technique which is gripped with all fingers with the thumb resting by itself. The second is called the penhold, which is gripped as one would grip a pen with the thumb and index finger with the rest of the fingers being tucked away on the other side.
Are you a ping pong master? If you have any other techniques, comment below.